If you are a cat owner, it is completely natural that you want to feed your furry healthy and beneficial food. But what is the best cat food for cats and how to choose the right cat diet for your feline? It can be a bit challenging to figure out due to the huge amount of various cat food options available on the pet market.
You can feed your cat the most expensive dry or best raw cat food, but you got to understand that none of them is ideal for your four-legged companion. The cat food formulas are not perfect. The flaws can be in components, flavoring, artificial ingredients, or even texture. One more important thing is that cats belong to carnivores.
Thus, raw meat has necessarily to be included in your cat diet and grains have to be excluded from it. However, most cat food contains grains that can be harmful to your feline’s health.
But it is in your hands to help your furry and make its menu perfect. What about homemade meals for cats?
This alternative to mass-market pet market products would be excellent and be sure it is not as difficult as you might think. Just look at the benefits of home-cooked food for felines.
Benefits of Homemade Cat Food
There are several good reasons why some cat owners choose to feed their furry friends homemade meals and discard any other options. Here are they:
1. The owners can control the ingredients as well as the process of cooking.
Bulk cat food on the market is not what it seems and advertises.
Both expensive and cheap cat food can include low-quality components, chemical preservatives, useless or even harmful fillers. So commercial cat food can be regarded as junk food for humans (fast food) and home made cat food like home cooking. If you start preparing food for your cat at home, you choose the ingredients and control the way of cooking. Thus, you are sure that your furry eats really quality meals.
2. The pet parents can protect their cats from a variety of allergic reactions.
A lot of commercial cat food brands say that their kibbles can improve cats’ skin and coat.
But that’s not true. Using low-quality ingredients for making such kinds of cat food, on the contrary, can cause some allergic reactions or sensitivities. Homemade raw food diet for cats lets you notice a great benefit to your four-legged friend’s skin and coat.
The difference is that raw food provides about 80% moisture when commercial cat food offers just 10%.
3. Homemade diet cat food improves cats’ digestion and enhances healthier litter box habits of felines.
Most cat owners know that kibbles can lead to diarrhea or urinary tract problems. In this case, the best decision is to make your own cat food. Homemade raw food for cats consists of ingredients that felines can easily digest and that don’t cause any litter box issues.
4. Making your own cat food fosters increased energy.
Kibble diet often causes weight problems and many cats that consume kibbles are overweight. This means that such pets become less active and much lazier. In turn, DIY cat food that consists of healthy meat-based ingredients, important nutrients and a high level of moisture can help you keep your cat fit, make it more playful and energetic.
5. The cat owners can save money if they choose to cook feline food at home by themselves.
One of the most pleasant benefits regards your wallet. Home-cooked meals let you save money because even high-quality ingredients don’t cost a lot compared to commercial cat food brands.
Raw Cat Food: The Risks and The Rewards
When it comes to the risks of raw cat food, it is all about common pathogens like Salmonella and Listeria. People who want to feed their cats raw diet must know about animal to human disease transmission (zoonotic) and contagion problems.
Despite these risks, more and more pet owners choose a raw food diet for their cats because it offers some fantastic rewards like big improvements in skin, coat, energy and overall well-being.
It is known that raw food helps felines recover faster from numerous health issues such as urinary tract problems, digestive problems, dental disease, allergies, asthma, degenerative diseases, immune disorders, epilepsy and so on.
A Cooked Diet: The Risks and The Rewards
The main risk of a cooked cat diet is that you can choose the wrong quantity and proportion of ingredients when making homemade food for your small favorite. But you can remedy that! Just be very careful because a cooked diet can be so beneficial for your pet. It can help you eliminate harmful commercial food from your cat’s diet. Homemade food also contains more vitamins, minerals and useful nutrients and that positively affects your cat’s well-being.
Essential Nutrients in a Cat’s Diet
Creating a well-balanced diet is important when cooking homemade cat food. There are various needs for a proper cat diet to provide an intact pH balance and make your feline as healthy as possible.
The two most essential nutrients are protein and water. Being carnivores, cats require protein to grow, develop, thrive and, of course, survive. Raw cat food as well as home-cooked one allows making your furry proper hydration during the day. That’s so important because the level of hydration influences the cat’s well-being, skin and coat condition.
When it comes to amino acids, you should realize that they are the next in the list of important nutrients for cats. Many acids are kept in protein sources. Taurine is the most basic one that is vital for a feline’s health.
Such necessary amino acids as Omega-3, Omega-6, DHA, LA, AA, EPA, GLA and CLA should be also added to your cat’s diet. They ensure great health for your furry.
For normal physiological development, it is essential to include vitamins and minerals in your feline’s diet. Phosphorus, chloride and vitamins C, B6, K and D are crucial for your cat’s health development.
The Essential Ingredients for Homemade Food
What essential ingredients should homemade cat food contain? There are several ones like different types of meat, bones, organs and different supplements.
Meat is the main ingredient in a homemade cat’s diet because it is a great source of protein. Your cat is a carnivore and that is why its diet must be a meat-based one. No matter if you decide to feed your cat raw or cooked meat, just be sure that it is rather hot or rather cold. Of course, make your hand washed before feeding your cat meat.
Can cats eat beef, pork, rabbit and fish? Of course, they can! Being excellent sources of animal protein for felines, these types of meat are the best choice for your four-legged companion. Lamb and mutton can also be included in the diet but in smaller portions because such types of meat are a bit high in fat for cats. A little venison can help you make your cat more agile and active.
You can also give your furry organ meats like liver as they are rich in vitamin A. Besides, don’t forget about muscle meat including lungs, heart, green tripe and gizzard. Just remember, muscle meat must be at least partially cooked.
Raw cat food diet can contain raw meaty bones, not cooked ones! Try not to feed your furry cooked bones because they can hurt your feline when eating. Raw bones are full of Calcium. Moreover, they are useful and can train the cat’s teeth. In case you give your cat fresh fish, it is important to take out all the bones in advance.
The best options for cats are liver, kidney, tongue, brain, heart, pancreas, spleen, thymus, testicles and ovaries. The liver provides vitamin A for felines. The kidneys are rich in B vitamins and iron.
The heart is a great source of vitamin B12, iron, and phosphorus. Vitamin B12, iron and zinc can be found in the beef tongue, but don’t forget that it also contains a lot of cholesterol so the portions should be small.
DIY cat food can be completed with various supplements depending on the circumstances. If there is there need, you may add supplements to your cat’s food. For example, calcium supplements are good options for cats and so on.
Ingredients to Avoid
When you know what ingredients are great for your furry, you should remember what products should be avoided. The list is not so small. So be attentive because these ingredients might be very dangerous and allergic to your cat!
Corn. GMO products are harmful to the feline’s body. A lot of crops are genetically modified so it would be better to exclude corn from your cat’s diet.
Soy. Soy or soy products are major allergens for felines. It contains gluten that can lead to skin irritation, itching, etc.
Wheat. Wheat can cause some allergic reactions and be harmful for your feline’s coat and skin. Try not to add wheat to homemade cat food in order to protect your furry from serious health problems.
Peas and pea fiber. Most commercial cat food includes peas or pea fiber because of protein. But there is no proof of their positive effect on feline’s health and development. Besides, some cats are allergic to peas and pea fiber.
Some fruit, vegetables and berries. Never feed your cat tomatoes, zucchini, red apples, avocados and cranberries. They are harmful for cats and can lead to unpleasant consequences like allergic reactions.
Homemade Cat Food Diabetic and for Sensitive Stomach
Chicken and Rice Diet
- 100 g dark chicken meat boiled and chopped
- 75 g white rice boiled
- 50 g potato boiled and mashed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl, mix them properly and the meal for your cat is ready.
Homemade Cat Food Recipe with Salmon and Rice
- 1 cup dry rice
- 3 cups water (or broth)
- 1/2 cup leftover bacon
- 2 cans carrots
- 2 cans pink salmon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour water into the pan. Add rice and mix. Add bacon and salt. Pour liquids from the cans into the pan and bring to boil. Then turn down to a simmer. Don't forget to stir the dish when making it sticky. When the rice is cooked, add salmon and carrots to the pan. Mix properly, let it cool and serve the meal to your feline.
Homemade Cat Food Recipe with Chicken and Oatmeal
- 100 g dark chicken meal boiled and chopped
- 75 g oatmeal boiled
- 50 g sweet potato boiled
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- Put all these products into the bowl. Blend them well. Serve the meal.
- 1/2 lb rabbit meat sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Vegetable stock unsalted
- 20 g sweet potato
- 20 g carrot
- 20 g celery
- 1 dash of parsley, rosemary, thyme, marjoram
- Saute rabbit slices in olive oil, sprinkle with chopped parsley, rosemary and marjoram. Cover with vegetable stock, put the dish into the oven and let it boil. Then turn down to a simmer. Add chopped vegetables and return to the over for 45 minutes. Let the meal cool and serve to your favorite.
Homemade Cat Food for Kidney Disease and for Urinary Crystals
Recipe with Tuna and Rice
- 100 g tune boiled or canned
- 75 g white rice cooked
- 50 g sweet potato mashed
- 1 tablespoon fish oil
- Combine all the ingredients in one bowl. Mix them properly. Your cat dish is ready. Serve it!
Raw Chicken Cat Food Recipe
- 1 pound chicken thighs with bone
- 4 ounces raw chicken liver
- 7 ounces raw chicken heart
- 4 ounces water
- 2 egg yolks raw
- 1000 ml Taurine
- 1 tablespoon fish oil
- 100 mg Vitamin B Complex
- Grid chicken thighs including bones, hearts and livers. Add all the rest ingredients and blend them properly. Serve the cat food.
Homemade Cat Food to Gain Weight
- 1 lbs beef mince (ground beef)
- 1/2 lb chicken liver chopped
- 1/2 lb chicken hearts chopped
- 1/2 lb chicken wings chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all the chopped ingredients with beef mince. Divide into 8 portions and serve the first portion to your cat.
Sardine Cat Food Recipe
- 2 cups sardines in oil
- 2/3 cup white rice boiled
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- Mix all the products in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon for blending to break up sardines onto bite-sized pieces.
Chicken and Tuna Dinner
- 100 g tune boiled or canned
- 75 g dark chicken meat boiled and chopped
- 50 g sweet potato mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients in one bowl well. The dish is ready to be served to your furry.
Raw Chicken Cat Food
- 1/2 pound chicken thighs with bone
- 2 ounces raw chicken liver
- 4 ounces raw chicken heart
- 3 ounces water
- 1 aw egg yolk
- Grid chicken thighs as well as bones. Grid chicken hearts and livers. Put all these ingredients into one bowl and blend them properly. Serve this meal to your cat.
Homemade Cat Food for Kittens
- 1 tbsp dry milk, non-fat one
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp veggies grated
- Blend milk powder with water. Crack eggs in this milk bland and mix it well. Pour this mixture into the frying pan and wait for 5 minutes. When the pancake is ready, spread the cottage cheese on it and chopped veggies on its halt. Fold the pancake and serve it to your little favorite.
Chicken and Greens
- 3 lb roasting chicken quartered
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pieces celery stalk with leaves
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- Pour water, put chicken, celery leaves and salt in a slow cooker. Top with a cover and let it boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove chicken and pour the broth into the bowl. Cool the broth. Cut chicken into pieces and put aside. Return your broth in the pot. Add celery, carrots and lemon juice. Simmer for 20 minutes. Return chicken pieces and greens. Cook for 15 minutes more. Then let this dish cool and serve.
- 1 cup trout completely cooked
- 1 egg yolk cooked
- 1 tbsp broccoli chopped and steamed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- You need a food processor to cook this best food for kittens. Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Mix them until they are blended. Serve it to your kitty.
Tools Necessary to Do The Job
There are not so many tools you need to make your own food for your cat. Actually, you should be ready to use:
- Food Processor
- Poultry Shears
- Meat Cleaver
- Storage Containers
What Is The Best Homemade Food for Cats?
The healthiest cat food is home-cooked dishes for cats but only if the meals are nutritionally balanced and complete. Felines need a certain amount of protein, fat, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. You must provide your cat with the right mix of meat, bones, organs to balance its feline needs. Generally, the best cat foods cooked at home consists of 80-85% meat, 5-10% organs, 7-10% bones. You can or must use nutritional supplements especially if you grid home-cooked dishes for your furry.
How Do I Made Own Cat Food?
It is not as difficult as you might think first. Just start and you see that you can use the ingredients that you have in your fridge and you are sure that these products are high-quality ones so your feline gets the best homemade food.
What Is The Best Thing To Feed My Cat?
Remember, the best thing is fresh, non-processed meat and only high-quality ingredients.
How To Store Homemade Cat Food?
You need storage containers (as has been said above) to store your homemade cat food.
How To Get My Cat To Eat Homemade Cat Food?
Don’t hurry! If your cat used to eat commercial kibbles, try to get it to eat homemade meals gradually. Start with small portions.
Homemade cat food is a perfect option for your furry if you want to improve your cat’s health and be sure that it gets a beneficial meal. It can be challenging at the very beginning, but when you see how your cat changes inside and outside, you’ll never stop feeding it home-cooked dishes.