If you are searching for a cute buddy friendly for kids, a big Ragdoll cat can become the best companion for you. Only imagine that a fluffy and very smart pet appears in your family.
You will love the huge stunning blue eyes and silky coat of colorpoint Ragdolls. Either female or male Ragdoll cat will demonstrate their easy-going character and friendly nature.
In comparison with other bewhiskered guys, this breed is notable with a calm temperament and moderation. Ragdoll cats are not fans of outdoor life, so you can have this pet in the flat, small house, everywhere. As these pets are very curious, it is enough to provide some access to windows and balconies to observe nature and objects outside.
If you are willing to own quiet cats of this breed and would like to get more information about the average Ragdoll cat size and weight, peculiarities of males and females, feel free to read the article and find answers.
Ragdoll Cat Size Explained
Are Ragdoll cats bigger than normal cats? It is worth noting that this breed can be called the king-sized one. You can become an owner of the giant pet you love so much. Ragdoll size and weight depend on the sex of the cat but its color or patterns do not matter.
The female Ragdoll size is a little smaller than the males’ size. A full grown Ragdoll cat is 17-22 inches in length while its weight can be about 12-22 pounds.
Note that if the length is measured with the tail, your pet can be even more than 22 inches. If the Ragdoll female size can be up to 15-16 pounds, males can become real record-holders with their king-sized weight of 22-23 pounds.
According to the expert opinion, nutrition and training can trigger the size of your pet. Ragdoll cats have very strong skeletal systems and powerful muscles that can grow with the proper exercise plans.
This way the sturdy bodies by nature become well-built and hulking. Ragdoll cats seem larger visually due to their fur as well. Their coat is light but voluminous while complementing the voluminous body structure and long tail.
Average Cat Size and Weight
The RFCI official dimensions for an adult cat of this breed are presented in the table. Note that this is the average size and weight of a full-size ragdoll cat (not a kitten). How big do Ragdoll cats get? Maximum and minimum dimensions can vary according to the table showings provided by representatives of the Cat Fanciers’ Association.
|17”-22” | 43-54 cm
|10”-11″ | 24-28 cm
|8-21 lb. | 4-10 kg
Ragdoll Kitten Development
This is the most common misconception that kittens of this cat breed are giant even when they are newborns. A baby Ragdoll is just 0.4-0.5 pounds. But these cats really grow very fast. The most significant development is seen in the period of the first month till seven/eight months.
The average kitten size chart starts with the weight your 2-week-old pet has. Let’s take a closer look at how parameters of the tiny buddy change:
- 2-week-old Ragdoll kittens weigh just 0.5 pounds. Their tails and paws grow. The skeletal system turns to be firmer. The length of newborns is about 5-6 inches.
- 3-week-old Ragdoll kittens continue to grow and can add 0.15-0.2 pounds and 0.5-1 inches for one week of their life.
- 1-month Ragdolls weigh about 0.7-1.6 pounds. Their length becomes about 6-6.5 inches. Kittens are very playful at this age and require your care and love.
- 6-week-old Ragdoll kittens have a weight of 0.8-1.7 pounds. They continue to grow in size, so their bodies, paws, ears, and tails become longer. If you are an owner of the shorthair ragdoll cat, you will likely don’t see changes in fur. But longhair kittens of this breed turn out to be fluffier in this period of time.
- A 10-week-old Ragdoll kitten will show you a bounce in growth for sure. The young ragdoll cat size goes up to 2-2.5 pounds. Some kittens are up to 7 inches in length. This period is notable with the maximum curiosity of your pet.
- 2-month Ragdolls can reach 7.5-8 inches in length with their long tails. The Ragdoll weight by age of two months is about 3 pounds.
- A 3-month-old Ragdoll kitten will jump in size one more time because its dimensions will double in this period of time. The average length of a cat is about 8-9.5 inches. The weight is about 4 pounds.
- The 4-month kitten weighs about 4.2-5 pounds. The length can stay the same or become 0.2-0.4 inches bigger.
- The 5-month kitten weight is expected to be up to 6 pounds. The progress of most cats is well-visible.
- The 6-month old cat size turns out to be 6-8.5 pounds (weight) and 11 inches in length. In comparison with other pets, Ragdoll cats do not have a time of crisis in this period of time.
- 7-month ragdolls continue to grow, so their weight and length become bigger. The ragdoll cat size is notable with the increased dimensions. According to the breed characteristics, 12-13 inches in length and 7.5-9 pounds in weight.
- 8-month kittens are almost full-grown Ragdoll breed males and females. The progressive growth stops, but the cat continues to increase its length (up to 14 inches) and weight (8-10 pounds) slowlier.
By the way, when are cats full grown? When do Ragdolls stop growing? It is difficult to answer in general. According to cat owners who keep track of the Ragdoll cat size, females and males of this breed can grow up to 1,5-2 years.
Factors That Could Trigger Size and Weight
Experienced cat lovers state that the pet’s mental and physical health by nature is not about limits in its dimensions. There is a range of factors that matter when it comes to the Ragdoll’s size. First of all, king-sized cats of this breed are seldom females.
According to the TICA survey, gentle giants are usually male Ragdolls while fluffy girls are smaller with a record weight of 14-15 pounds.
Intake of supplements, high-quality food, and training can ruin stereotypes, and help your kitten grow into a beautiful cat with huge dimensions. If you are a cat owner and dream about a 15-pound cat or even a 20-pound one, find out more about factors that matter when it comes to the Ragdoll cat and its weight.
This is a nutrient-rich food for newborns that boost their growth. If you adopt a small Ragdoll, do not neglect colostrum use. Remember that intake of this natural milk-driven food increases the Ragdoll cat weight and improves the immunity of kittens you got. If you do not want to make your buddy attackable by infections and illnesses, arrange colostrum intake.
Proper Diet & Nutrient Intake
Such arrangements like the purchase of litter boxes and toys are not so important as the regimen of your female or male ragdoll cats. You need to provide a proper diet that will be rich in nutrients (Ca, Zn, etc.) for the formation of healthy:
Ragdoll owners should consult with the vet to plan the regimen with good food required for the growing body and exercise plan for training.
The temperament of Ragdolls is a little bit lazy and low-active. The task of cat owners is to provide the best conditions for regular training. Your pets are dog-like according to the opinion of experts. Find exercises that your buddy likes.
Some fluffies prefer to retrieve toys or play fetch as puppies do. Remember that Ragdolls are domestic cats (floor cats), so run and play with them indoors.
Note that the average cat size also depends on the physical health of your pet. The weight can increase or decrease if your ragdoll is ill. Some diseases provoke the size growth, others cause weakness and poor appetite. If you have just mentioned weight bouncing, visit a vet to prevent dangerous illnesses.
The King-Sized Cat Expectation
More and more owners would like to have a larger cat. Among the most demandable ones are Ragdolls too. Experienced breeders can provide helpful recommendations on how to select a kitten with the potential to become a king-sized grown buddy.
If the size matters to you, a 20-pound cat can be got from the best litter. But remember that these are only predictions. To meet your expectations, specialists can determine the average cat’s height, weight, and length.
Size Matters – Here’s Why
The battle between lovers of Ragdoll size vs normal cat dimensions continues. The desire to hug a huge pet and breed giant gentles often wins. But note three important aspects when it comes to Ragdolls:
- You need to hold your buddy properly. Big cat breeds require more care. Remember that that size matters when you hold your Ragdoll. In order not to harm your pet, watch online tutorials and consult your vet.
- Be sure that all the goods and accessories suit your pet. Do not forget to buy a scratching post and toys. Unfitting add-ons will not be appreciated by your fluffy friend. Ensure comfort and your love with the well-thought microclimate with all necessary things for your cat.
- Be ready for bigger costs – king-sized breeds require more food, litter, attention. Toys (like scratching posts and balls) and clothes are larger as well. If you are not afraid of higher spending, it is not a challenge for you. If you have a limited budget (for food, cat show attendance, entertainment), think about bigger costs before adopting a Ragdoll kitty.
Ragdolls Vs. the World’s Largest Cats
Let’s compare Ragdolls with other cats of a big size. The comparison is presented in the form of a big cat size chart to see the difference between the household animals of various king-sized breeds.
|Norwegian Forest cat
To sum up, male Maine Coons can be longer than Ragdolls. The Savannah cats can have a bigger weight as well. In general, Ragdolls are one of the largest breeds in the world.
Ragdolls vs. the World’s Smallest Cats
The average domestic cat is about 8-10 inches in length and weighs about 7-8 pounds. But what about comparing big-sized Ragdolls with other breeds of a small size? Let’s take a closer look at the Ragdoll cat size comparison chart presented in the form of a table.
In comparison with the world’s smallest cats, Ragdolls seem giant because their weight and length are twice bigger than other small-sized breeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
The FAQ section contains the mostly-asked questions related to the Ragdoll cat size. Even the most experienced cat owners can face some challenges they would like to overcome. Find answers about the healthy weight of your cat, Ragdoll size by age, etc.
Can Ragdoll Cats Be Small?
It’s hard to imagine Ragdolls of compact size. The medium size of your pets is 8-21 pounds (in weight) and 17-22 inches (in length). The large Ragdoll cat is usually of the maximum dimensions presented as average.
So you can consider your female small if it will be 8 pounds and 17 inches in length. But it is normal cat size for fluffy girls. Gentle male giants are often larger.
How Big Should My Ragdoll Kitten Be?
Small Ragdoll cats grow very fast. Starting with 0.5 pounds, a newborn in several months transforms into a big young bewhiskered guy. A 1-month kitten is often about 0.7-1.6 pounds in weight and 6-7 inches in length.
There are several growth bounces when the dimensions of the kitten double. Follow the Ragdoll Fanciers Club International Ragdoll cat size chart to control your kitten’s development.
Are Ragdoll Cats Bigger Than Maine Coons?
No. These are the largest two cat breeds. But Maine Coons are usually longer and higher. The Ragdoll male size can be close in dimensions (weight/height) with Maine Coons but not bigger than the last.
In comparison with Main Coons, Ragdoll cats can be a maximum of 20 inches. But the Maine Coon males and females can be twice longer (up to 50 inches).
Is It Better to Get a Female or Male Ragdoll?
If you would like to become an owner of the large Ragdoll cat, it’s better to select a male. If you would like to become a breeder, get a lovely female. But the most brilliant recommendation is to adopt several Ragdolls at once. These cats are very social, so get 2-3 young guys to prevent loneliness and depression of extra friendly breed representatives.
When Do Ragdoll Cats Stop Growing?
Ragdolls mature far later than any other adult cat breed, at roughly 3-4 years. A Ragdoll kitten will grow at the same rate as a domestic cat during the first 12 weeks of its life. A Ragdoll kitten at 8 weeks old will normally weigh between 1 pound, 13 ounces and 2 pounds, 3 ounces. It is estimated that they will have gained 3 to 4 pounds by the 12-week milestone. At 5 months, a Ragdoll kitten will go through a growth spurt, so be prepared to increase its diet. Ragdoll kittens typically gain 1 pound every month until they reach the age of 12 months.
Is My Cat Overweight?
The feel test is effective. If you carefully run your hands over your cat’s sides, you should be able to feel its ribs beneath a layer of muscle and fur.
Your cat should be nimble enough to climb up on beds and other furniture. If you are unsure, your veterinarian will provide you with an honest opinion.
An adult Ragdoll cat weighs about 15 pounds on average. Whether your cat weighs more than 20 pounds or less than 10 pounds, consult with your veterinarian to see if you need to step in and assist them to lose or gain weight.
Ragdolls are one of the largest cat breeds in the world. Nevertheless, there are many people who want to know more about their size and the ways on how to trigger it. With the help of colostrum intake, exercising, and proper regimen, cat lovers can grow their pets maximally. And this weight and length will be healthy!
The Ragdoll size by age varies according to the diet of the pet and its natural characteristics. Females are smaller than males, but all the cats of this breed have the potential to have king-sized dimensions and strong mental health together with physical health.
Table of Contents