Calico cats are unique, beautiful, and charming. For many nations, calico cats are considered to be lucky due to their fantastic pattern. Thus, white is a symbol of purity and peace. Black symbolizes victory over ailments and misfortunes. Red is the color of joy, happiness, health, and well-being. If a cat has all these colors, she is a living talisman!
On top of that, calico cats hold a special place in various cultures. In Japan, calico cats are known as “tobi mi-ke” (meaning “triple fur”). The British are convinced that tortoiseshell cats can protect against disease and adversity. Americans believe that these cats attract money. As for Muslims, they believe that tricolors save from fires.
So, you have chosen a beautiful calico cat, or maybe she has chosen you? This stunning creature with a magical fur pattern deserves the prettiest name ever. We’ve rounded up cute, cool, unusual cat names as well as names inspired by various cultures. You will find that special name for your bundle of joy on our list.
What Is a Calico Cat?
Calico refers to a specific pattern of a cat – black and orange patches on white fur make up the distinctive features of calico cats.
Calico is also known as tricolor or tortoiseshell, and this pattern is caused by a genetic variation (it is connected with the X chromosome) that occurs only in female cats.
Cats with this mutation originated from Egypt, and various cat breeds have calico coloration: British and American Shorthair, Persian, Manx, and Japanese Bobtail.
Cool Male Calico Cat Names
You will never go wrong if you name your tortie-and-white cat after one of the coolest calico cats. Many pet owners opt for popular calico cat names (names of a feline mascot, famous furred stars, a feline pioneer, or a cartoon star) because they sound cool, carry a certain meaning, and just suit calico boys perfectly.
Here are some inspiring names for multicolored cats.
- Koun – a purr-fect Japanese name for a sweet calico cat.
- Copper – choose this name for your fluffy calico kittens with a reddish-brown coat.
- Oliver – this is an orange cat from the film Oliver & Company.
- Picasso – if you are inspired by the vivid colors of Picasso’s paintings, this is a perfect option to go for.
- Rusty – one of the popular black and orange cat names for a mischievous kitten.
- Pudge – if you are impressed by the Instagram star – an orange and black cat with white spots, go for this option.
Here are Egyptian calico cat names for your multicolor cuties.
- Ta Miu – this is the name of Crown Prince Thutmose’s cat. He mummified her and buried her with honors in a sarcophagus.
- Selene – Cleopatra’s daughter’s name is great for cute cats.
- Cleopatra – means “glory of her father.”
- Nefertiti – some Egyptologists assume that Nefertiti was the princess from Mitanni (modern Syria). This name means “a beautiful woman has come.”
- Nailah – signifies “successful.”
- Akila – this name with Arabic roots means “intelligent.”
- Bastet – the name of the Egyptian cat goddess.
Tortoiseshell Cat Names that Rock
Get inspired by these nerdy cat names.
Japanese, Italian, and Irish Names for Calico Cats
Looking for some purr-ty names for multicolored cats? Here is a handy list of Japanese, Italian cat names, and Irish cat names.
- Kôh-lina – means “luck” in Japanese.
Unusual & Unique Calico Cat Names
Check out some paw-some ideas of unusual calico cat names for your bundle of joy.
- Delila – a great name for a cat with a bright temperament.
- Pina – this name is associated with wisdom and knowledge.
- Seleah – for a friendly and outgoing cat.
- Calypso – if your cat is loyal.
- Ember – this name will perfectly highlight the fiery personality of your calico cat.
- Cacciatrice – this name means “hunter” and is great for tricolor cats.
Flowery Female Names
These female calico cat names with meaning emphasize your new feline’s feminine characteristics. Each of these lovely female calico cat names reflects a distinct quality of your calico cat’s charm, beauty, and elegance.
Orange Calico Kitten Names
Black Color Calico Cat Names
White Color Calico Cat Names
- Vanilla – great for cats with a calm disposition.
- Carina – a white star constellation
- Blanca – means “white” in Spanish.
- Blanche – means “white” in French.
- Snowflake – great for a unique cat.
Calico Cat Names Inspired By Food
Badass Names Inspired by Movie Felines
- Buttercup – a symbol of survival in the Hunger Games.
- Mrs. Norris – the pet cat of Argus Filch in Happy Potter.
- Winkie – the companion of children in Escape to Witch Mountain.
- Duchess – the Hoggett’s’ spoiled pet cat in Babe.
Cute & Adorable Seasonal Names
Calico cat names can be inspired by common colors, plants, and animals seen throughout the year.
Names Inspired by Autumn
- Indian Summer is a perfect seasonal name.
- Spice – many spices have red and brown tones similar to your calico cat.
- Foliage – the colors of common fall leaf hues are comparable to the coat color of your calico feline.
Names Inspired by Spring
- Lantana – These tropical blooms come in orange and red hues, with some plants having an ombre appearance.
- Monarch – This butterfly’s signature hues are orange, black, and white.
- Painted Lady – This butterfly has white, black, and orange colors.
Naming Your Cat
What to name a calico cat? Here are some tips.
- Don’t Make It Too Complicated
Choose a name that is straightforward and easy to remember. Your cat will be puzzled if your name is too intricate. You can also feel foolish calling the name each time you want your kitty to come to you. You can go for some fashion-inspired calico cat names, e.g. Hermes, Coco, Vivienne, and Vera.
- Consider the Household’s Other Names
Choose something that does not sound too similar to anybody else in the home. You can go for gemstone calico cat names, e.g. Topaz, Pearl, Crystal, Amber, Onyx.
- Don’t be too hilarious
You may find it amusing to call your cat a fun name, but keep in mind that you must use this name while registering with your veterinarian, you will need to inform your pet sitter, coworkers, and family members as well. Besides, make sure you don’t choose something that is ethnically, culturally, or sexually inappropriate.
In this case, you can select Halloween calico cat names: Jack, Lucifer, October, and Casper.
- Choose a nostalgic name
Choosing something that brings back happy memories may give a name greater significance. Perhaps you’d want to name your pet after a favorite vacation spot or after a loved one.
You are all set! Now you are ready to meet your new multi colored cats. Be sure to consider the appearance and your pet’s personality before giving her a name. Besides, who knows, maybe your new family member will choose a name herself. All the best to you and your tricolor cat.
Table of Contents